If you’re planning on having a destination wedding, you may be trying to decide between hiring a resort photographer or bringing a photographer with you from home. It might seem simple and therefore like the more attractive option to just hire a photographer that the resort can provide for you, but there are a number of things to keep in mind before making that decision. Here’s a list of the top five reasons we think you should bring a photographer with you to capture your destination wedding:
1. You can take a photographer you know and trust. Capturing your wedding day is a very important task, and you want to feel a peace of mind that you have the right person or team behind the lens. It’s a gamble to leave it up to a resort photographer you don’t know and may not be able to trust with your wedding memories.
2. There can be hidden costs involved with resort photographers. Lots of packages for resort photography are advertised as free or part of your all-inclusive wedding package. That can be super enticing, but there are often hidden costs that aren’t advertised, and you might get a shock when you get the final bill. You might have to pay extra for a number of reasons: photo editing, wanting more photos than the bundle allows, extra fees to get your final images released to you, spending extra if a photographer sticks around a little longer. It could end up being cheaper to hire a photographer to travel with you, plus you know you’re getting photos that you will love.
3. You get what you pay for. If you bring your own photographer you will get a lot more out of your wedding package. More photos, more coverage on the wedding day, many hours of edits, full printing rights, and no worries about your photos being released to you after your wedding.
4. If you bring a photographer with you, they are going to be far more dedicated to providing the amazing service you deserve on your wedding day. They are going on a week-long trip with you, so they will feel a more personal connection with you than a photographer that shows up the morning of your wedding. They will work their hardest to capture your memories in a style that you love.
5. You know what you’re going to get. When you bring a photographer with you from home, you’ve met that photographer before your big day and approve of their professionalism and skills. You can meet up for coffee or a drink to discuss all of your wedding day plans and expectations. You can get together for an engagement shoot which gives you a chance to get to know each other better and become more comfortable in front of the camera. They will be there for you to provide advice leading up to your wedding. You know their portfolio and their style. There’s a really long list of pros for this one because it all adds up to a better experience for everyone.
The resort will provide you with portfolios of their wedding photographers that might be very nice, but you won’t be guaranteed a specific photographer for your wedding day. Resorts have numerous photographers working for them and you might not have seen the portfolio of your resort photographer or know what their skill level is.
As an example of what you can get when you bring your own photographer, here are some photos from our week in Riviera Maya, Mexico to capture Teri and Joe’s beautiful destination wedding:
** If you’re interested in discussing destination wedding packages with us, please contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or check out our Facebook page by clicking here.